Cinco de Mayo is a day to celebrate Mexican pride and heritage, a day to celebrate Latin American culture and commemorate the Mexican army’s victory over the French at the Battle of Puebla on May 5th in 1962.
Mexican food is one of my favorites! Tacos, fajitas, corn burritos, quesadillas, rice, beans, corn chips, guacamole, salsa… the gluten free possibilities are endless! What better way to celebrate Mexican tradition this Cinco de Mayo than with chipotle chicken fajitas, tortilla chips, and homemade mango salsa!
Chipotle Chicken Fajitas
1 fresh squeezed lime
2 teaspoons oregano
1 teaspoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons chipotle pepper sauce
2 teaspoons minced garlic (I used jarred minced garlic in olive oil)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 pound chicken strips (cut into cubes)
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 cup shallots (sliced thin)
4 large corn tortillas
1) In a large bowl combine lime juice, oregano, brown sugar, chipotle pepper sauce, minced garlic and salt. Add chicken, toss in mixture until coated evenly. Hold aside.
2) Heat olive oil in a pan on medium-high heat. Add shallots and saute until tender. Remove shallots from pan and place in a bowl.
3) Add chicken to pan and saute until cooked all the way through. Combine chicken and shallots in bowl.
4) Warm corn tortillas on a pan. Fill with chicken and shallot mixture. Serve with rice.
*Note* You can also try the same recipe using pork! In the past Luke has made this using pork tenderloin and soft white corn tortillas! (shown above)
1 red bell pepper
1 cup red onion
2 limes, fresh squeezed
1/4 cup minced cilantro
1/4 tsp. of red pepper flakes
1/8 tsp. pepper
1) Combine mango, tomato, red bell pepper, red onion, lime juice, cilantro, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper in a large dish. Chill.
2) Serve with your favorite corn chips!