Delicious pasta recipes can easily be turned into yummy gluten free dishes. This past Monday night was Luke’s turn to make dinner. Worried that we needed to use up the spring onions and mushrooms in the fridge, I tossed Luke one of my cooking magazines, hoping he would look at some of the pasta recipes and come up with something good.
At first I was worried, watching him look at the spring onion’s large bulbs and hollow green leaves with a puzzled look on his face. “Jame, what part do we eat?” he asked. Amused, and not quite sure myself I told him to just guess. I use green onions all the time in my recipes, but this was the first time I ever purchased the similar but extra-large spring onion. Plus I really wanted him to do this on his own!
After Luke got started our kitchen smelled amazing. Nothing is better than the smell of onions and garlic! After about 40 minutes , Luke put a plate of my gluten free fusilli pasta in front of me. It was mixed with caramelized spring onions (yes, he figured them out!), sautéed mushrooms, garlic, vegetable broth, and white wine. The best part was that it was topped with gluten free breadcrumbs that had been browned in the oven with garlic.
Let’s just say I am still craving more of this yummy pasta! This dish was so good and full of flavor, you could not even tell he used gluten free pasta! I am actually thinking about making this again on Sunday to take to my family as a side dish for Easter!
GF Fusilli with Carmelized Spring Onions and Mushrooms
Gluten Free, Vegetarian
1/2 cup of gluten free breadcrumbs
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups of spring onion, sliced thin
4 white mushrooms
1/2 cup dry vermouth
1/4 cup low sodium vegetable broth (Pacific Natural Food’s Low Sodium Organic Vegetable Broth once again is my fav!)
8 oz package of gluten free pasta (I used Bionaturae Gluten Free Fusilli)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
salt (if desired)
1) Preheat over to 375 °
2) In a small bowl combine the gluten free breadcrumbs, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 1 teaspoon of minced garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of salt. When mixed spread on a cookie sheet and bake until browned (between 5-7 minutes). Hold aside.
3) Heat remaining olive oil (2 tbs.) in a pan on medium-low heat. Add onions and let cook for 25 minutes. When there is only 10 minutes left add mushrooms.
4) Meanwhile, cook gluten free pasta according to package directions.
5) After onion and mushroom mixture has cooked for 25 minutes increase heat to medium-high. Add remaining garlic (1 tbs.) and dry vermouth and cook for 1 minute. Next add vegetable broth and cook for 4-5 minutes.
6) Combine cooked pasta with the onion and mushroom mixture. Season with salt and pepper and top with breadcrumbs.