I am not a picky eater. I never have been. I grew up with my mom exposing me to many different foods. Hamburgers, hotdogs, mac and cheese, and even peanut butter and jelly never were my favorites like a normal kid. Hummus, tabbouleh, any type of fish, eggplant, spinach, ALL green vegetables, and plain yogurt were all things I loved when I was really young. Thankfully that makes the gluten free diet much easier for me. I will try anything and everything (free of wheat of course!).
When thinking about my favorite foods I first think fish. Salmon, haddock, shrimp, scallops, tuna, clams, sushi…I love it all! I also LOVE Mexican food. Especially tacos! Naturally, you would think fish tacos must be a favorite on the menu at my house, but surprisingly I had never tried them!
Until this weekend…
I decided to make my own fish tacos at home. It was incredibly easy, and of course gluten free! The right mixture of tilapia, jalapeno peppers, sweet mango, tangy limes, and cilantro folded over in a warm tortilla is a tasty and even a healthier alternative to the customary cheesy beef taco.
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 lime, juiced
1 jalapeno, diced
1 tsp. of cilantro
1/2 tsp. salt (divided)
2 tsp. olive oil (for pan)
1 lb. tilapia fillets
1 tsp. chilli powder
2 cups of thinly chopped lettuce
1 cups tomatoes, chopped
2 bunches of green onions, sliced thin
1 mango, diced
1 tsp. parsley
Corn tortillas (4-6 depending on how big)
1) Combine olive oil, lime, jalapeno, cilantro, and 1/4 tsp. of salt in a medium bowl. Hold aside.
2) Heat 2 tsp. olive oil in a large skillet. Sprinkle tilapia with chilli powder and remaining 1/4 tsp of salt evenly. Add fish to pan. Then pour jalapeno and lime mixture over fish. Cook fish on pan until cooked through (should flake easily).
3) When fish is finished remove from heat and cut into small pieces.
4) Prepare garnish by combining lettuce, tomatoes, green onion, mango and parsley in a bowl.
5) Heat tortillas in a pan. Add fish and garnish to tortillas and fold.