Gluten Free, Vegetarian
This recipe for Quinoa and Chickpeas Stuffed Peppers is based off of a “Greek Orzo Stuffed Pepper” recipe I found in Eating Well magazine. Since I can’t have orzo, I figured I would try to do something similar with quinoa. The result was delicious! The filling was so good that Luke and I were eating it by the spoonful before it even made it inside the peppers! Quinoa lovers…this is a must try!!
1 cups water
1/2 cup quinoa
3 Bell Peppers
15 oz. can of chickpeas (I always use low sodium, organic)
1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
6 oz. baby spinach, chopped
1 tsp. oregano
3/4 cup crumbled feta (use 1/2 cup, hold 1/4 aside for topping)
1/4 cup sundried tomatoes
1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
1/4 tsp. salt
1) First, cook quinoa according to package directions (bring water to a boil in a saucepan. Add quinoa. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes).
2) Meanwhile, halve the peppers length wise, remove the seeds, and steam.
3) Mash the chickpeas into a chunky paste.
4) Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add spinach and oregano and stir for 1 minute. Stir in chickpeas, 1/2 cup of feta, sun dried tomatoes, red wine vinegar, and salt. Cook for 2 minutes, remove from heat.
5) Mix in cooked quinoa. Spoon filling into the peppers and sprinkle remaining feta on top.